Monday, July 25, 2011

what is it with Am Bullies?

Howdy ya'll!  If you've clicked onto this Blog 1st and foremost let me say "Thank you!"  Secondly, let me say that any and everything can be said here.  I'm not easy to offend so if you have something on your'e mind.............LET IT OFF!  The point of this blog is to talk about the current trend of the Am Bully.  Not familar with them?  Well, lets start with what I know.
Pictured above is my 10 month old Amercian Pit Bull Terrier Bella.  She is the 3rd one I've owned in my life.  So, what is a Pit Bull exactly?  Well, I guess that depends upon who you ask.  How bout if I explain what I think a Pit Bull is?  Guess that's as good a place to start as any.

The American Pit Bull Terrier- (Henceforth reffered to as APBT) is the direct descendant of the orginal Bulldog of England.  They are normally bred for "Gameness" as oposed to a certain "look" like show dogs.  There are several establised bloodlies out there, and for the lucky few that have them the dogs are kept sacred, and the lines protected.  Some of which include Colby, Carver, Boudreaux, Corvino, Greenwood & Loposay just to name a few.  Dogs along these lines are mostly registered through the ADBA.

The Amercian Stafordshire Terrier-Here we have a dog that actually started out as a Pit Bull.  The late great Louis P. Colby in an attempt to gain popularity with the breed, got the AKC to recognize them as a breed.  However, the AKC would not accept pit fighting at all, and instead began to tout the breed as a "Home gaurdian & family companion."  As such, a more stocky, larger version of the dog was sought after for breeding purposes, rather than focus on gameness, mental soundness & stability. 

Dog registries- I'm sure you've heard of the AKC, UKC and ADBA.  The UKC was the 1st Kennel club in this country to register Pit Bulls.  However in subequent years, cross breedings between the two we considered "O.K.", and still labled as a Pit Bull.  One thing that I noticed in my years with the breed was that there were very few Red Red nosed Am Staff's, and almost no Bule APBT's.  in the late 80's early 90's however, Casy Courtier of Watchdog Kennels began breeding and selling "Blue Pit Bulls."  This dogs were fairly large and super expensive (Considering you could get a good pup back then for $300.00-$400.00) and some of their blood can still be tracked down in breeders yard's today. 

Well, I'm gonna stop here & eat.  Pick this up in a few.

No comments:

Post a Comment